No Dawlish Air Show for 2017

(Last Updated On: November 30, 2016)

It has been announced today that there will not be a Dawlish Air Show in 2017.

Due to a lack of funding and donations, the popular free event will not take place next year.

Red Arrows

There was no airshow this year after organisers took a break. 

Today organisers said it was ‘frustrating’ that Teignbridge Council provided£149,000 towards Radio One Big Weekend event earlier this year which they say didn’t benefit the Dawlish and Teignmouth local economies.

A spokesperson said on The Dawlish Air Show website: “It is with much sadness that the Dawlish Air Show committee must announce that there wont be a Dawlish Air Show in 2017.
“The committee has been working tirelessly to find sufficient funding to enable the air show to go ahead next year, but that search has failed to accrue any significant monies or donations.

“The committee was extremely disappointed to fail in its search for funding for a free event run by volunteers that brings around 100,000 visitors in to the area and as a result significantly benefits businesses in Dawlish and other local communities.

“It was especially frustrating seeing Teignbridge Council provide £149,000 towards the staging of the Radio One Big Weekend event at Powderham Castle earlier this year, which arguably didn’t benefit the Dawlish and Teignmouth local economies in any way at all.

“The committee will continue to seek funding during 2017 in an attempt to stage another Dawlish Air Show in the future but, in the meantime, Dawlish Air Show will continue, as it did this year, to support events in the town and provide help with equipment, manpower and advice to the ‘Dawlish Celebrates’ carnival committee, should they need it,”

(Author)

Team account for We Are South Devon.