Update: Chelston house fire

The scene last night in Oxenham Green
(Last Updated On: March 11, 2016)

Fire Crews were called to reports of a fire at Oxenham Green, Chelston Torquay last night at around 6.30pm.

3 appliances attended the incident, two from Torquay and one from Paignton.

Police were at the scene. Davis Avenue was blocked from both ends.

Western Power and Wales and West Utilities were also in attendance to isolate the gas and electric.

Residents in the area were temporarily without gas and electric whilst the incident was dealt with.

The scene last night in Oxenham Green

The scene last night in Oxenham Green

Crews confirmed that there was a fire involving a tumble dryer in a cupboard within the kitchen of the property.

A spokesperson for the fire service said:
“The fire was extinguished using 4 breathing apparatus wearers, 1 attack jet, 1 CAF (compressed air foam) jet, 1 safety jet, positive pressure ventilation fan, thermal imaging camera, short extension ladder and small tools.

“The property sustained 50% smoke and heat damage to the ground floor and 100% smoke damage to the remainder of the property.

“The cause of the fire was accidental,”

Police and fire crew

Police and fire crew

Police confirmed that the family, including a newborn baby escaped uninjured.

For more community news and info, join us on Facebook: We Are South Devon or Twitter: @wearesouthdevon

(Author)

Team account for We Are South Devon.