‘The Hotel’ returned to channel 4 last night.
The documentary filmed at the Cavendish Hotel on Begrave Road, Torquay sees Mark Jenkins (previous owner of The Grosvenor Hotel which also featured on ‘The Hotel’) return as the Entertainments manager.
The first episode got mixed reviews from locals. Spotted Torquay asked for peoples thoughts on the show and it received over 100 comments. Here are just some of them:
“I am disgusted by the behaviour of the bar manager Mike, talk about bullying in the workplace!” Terri Turnham
“I think they were damned nasty to Mark, even in his own hotels it showed through his heart was in the right place! He did well,” Camille Allen
“Great advertisement for Torquay …NOT…surely we should be advertising positivity to get people back to the town not driving them to somewhere else!!!!” Clare Rose
“If anything, watching this show, after watching the grosvenor, would put holiday makers off coming to Torquay. Leaky rooms, nasty bullying staff and a severe lack of smiles. Its not a place i would want to rush to for a holiday,” Charlie Ward
“Showed some stunning shots of Torquay which I think is great of great benefit to the area. Mark is entertaining as ever.,”David Black
“Am finding it really hard to bite my tongue over all the nasty comments about the hotel and staff, and no you can’t edit what has been said, but sadly the hotel and mark all did get on, but how exciting would that be to watch!! The cavendish isn’t a sinking ship, it’s just when every other hotel in Belgrave rd turned channel 4 away the cavendish said yes, be grateful they said yes or Mr Jenkins wouldn’t be bk on the telly!” Tracie Collings
Alex Mf Stoma reminds everyone: “It is only a tv programme people…”
Alison Pennell (Who appears in this series and also appeared on the series at The Grosvenor) stated:
“Give mike a break it’s week 1 !! It all comes good 🙂 trust me”
Some people claiming to be hotel staff and Mike’s family were quick to defend the show. Unfortunately most of the comments contained profanities and cannot be posted on here.
Elsewhere on social media, the comments are much of the same. With negative outweighing the positive.
Mark Jenkins commented on twitter:
The Cavendish claim that the bar manager Mike received death threats following the airing of the first episode.
Posting on Facebook, the Cavendish said: [replying to “did they remove the last status?”]
“Yes, we have taken down a few frankly offensive posts and we have also been on the phone to the police tonight as Mike has received death threats. Some people need to get a sense of perspective,”
So, what did you think of the show so far?
Join us on Facebook:
Error: Your Requested widget "Facebook like box (jetpack) " is not in the widget list.
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-above-footer]
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-above-loop]
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-below-header]
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-below-loop]
- [do_widget_area sanfrancisco-default-sidebar]
- [do_widget id="media_image-29"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-30"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-18"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-28"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-23"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-25"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-20"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-24"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-31"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-2"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-4"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-5"]
- [do_widget_area swift-footer-widget-area]
- [do_widget_area widgets_for_shortcodes]
- [do_widget id="eme_calendar-2"]
- [do_widget id="eme_list-2"]
- [do_widget_area wp_inactive_widgets]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-3"]
- [do_widget id="search-2"]
- [do_widget id="search-4"]
- [do_widget id="archives-11"]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-3"]
- [do_widget id="archives-4"]
- [do_widget id="archives-6"]
- [do_widget id="text-2"]
- [do_widget id="text-39"]
- [do_widget id="categories-3"]
- [do_widget id="recent-posts-2"]
- [do_widget id="archives-2"]
- [do_widget id="recent-comments-2"]
- [do_widget id="categories-2"]
- [do_widget id="meta-2"]
As you may have seen on last nights episode, next week there will be an attempt to make the worlds biggest scone. Want to find out what happened?