[fblike style=”button_count” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”]
If you follow Spotted Torquay or We Are South Devon on facebook, you may have seen that we were trying to track down the people who helped an elderly man yesterday in Paignton.
The 83 year old man had collapsed and had stopped breathing. CPR was performed by a local lifeguard who was passing until paramedics arrived and took over. Tom Murch who is a supervisor at Kingsteington outdoor pool and lifeguard at splashdown@quaywest had been driving to Torquay when he stopped to help. Tom had learnt first aid and CPR whilst doing his National Pool Lifeguard Qualification.
Sadly, the man passed away later that day.
His family are shocked by the news as he was generally in good health and was an active man.
We have spoken with the family, who are very grateful to the people who stayed with their father and to Tom who performed CPR.
Although their dad passed away, it has been of comfort to know that people assisted and he was cared for when he needed it most.
The family chose to use Spotted to try and locate the people involved as the site has a large local audience. All three men were found quickly. We have received messages that there was also woman at the scene who was assisting, we have since discovered this was the mans neighbour of 43 years, Ann Hines.
The family will be contacting these people in private but have expressed their thanks publicly.
After speaking to the family yesterday, we both thought that first aid and CPR should be highlighted.
Would you know what to do if you found yourself in this situation?
CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation) is a first aid technique that can be used if someone is not breathing properly or if their heart has stopped.
Chest compressions and rescue breaths keep blood and oxygen circulating in the body.
You may have seen the recent campaign by the British Heart Foundation (with Vinnie Jones) this promotes ‘Hands only’ CPR.
This was aimed at people who have not had training or may not feel comfortable giving rescue breaths to a stranger.
(This video has humour in it that may not be felt appropriate to go along side this article. However, it gives clear, simple and easy to remember instructions for those who are untrained in first aid)
The following video gives a demonstration which also includes rescue breaths:
This video demonstrates CPR on children and babies:
It would be daunting, finding yourself in a position where someone requires CPR, you may worry about doing it wrong.
Without intervention the person will have no hope…. with intervention, they at least stand a chance.
Our sincere condolences to the family. Our thoughts are with you.
In memory of John Newland 21/05/1931 – 25/06/2014
Rest in peace.
Get local updates from We Are South Devon by clicking below-
Error: Your Requested widget "Facebook like box (jetpack) " is not in the widget list.
- [do_widget_area sanfrancisco-default-sidebar]
- [do_widget id="media_image-29"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-40"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-38"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-18"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-28"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-41"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-36"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-23"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-31"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-5"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-4"]
- [do_widget_area widgets_for_shortcodes]
- [do_widget_area wp_inactive_widgets]
- [do_widget id="search-2"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-3"]
- [do_widget id="search-4"]
- [do_widget id="archives-11"]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-3"]
- [do_widget id="archives-4"]
- [do_widget id="archives-6"]
- [do_widget id="text-2"]
- [do_widget id="text-39"]
- [do_widget id="categories-3"]
- [do_widget id="recent-posts-2"]
- [do_widget id="archives-2"]
- [do_widget id="recent-comments-2"]
- [do_widget id="categories-2"]
- [do_widget id="meta-2"]
- [do_widget id="eu_cookie_law_widget-2"]
- [do_widget id="eu_cookie_law_widget-3"]