A ‘legal high’ shop in Exeter has ceased trading following a closure notice that was issued on Monday: https://wearesouthdevon.com/closure-notice-served-legal-high-shop-devon/
Wicked Head legal high shop in South Street, Exeter has now ceased trading following an investigation by police after numerous complaints had been received since the shop’s opening in August.
The complaints centred around anti-social behaviour, nuisance and disorder by persons visiting the shop located in South Street, Exeter and the subsequent effects on them following purchase of substances deemed ‘legal highs’.
Over three months police logged complaints from local trades and members of the public visiting the City to shop. The anti-social behaviour by persons attending the shop to purchase ‘legal highs’ also affected school children in the area going to and from school.
A temporary closure notice was initially served to the Wicked Head shop on Monday 3rd November, prior to a full hearing due to be held at Exeter Magistrates Court on Thursday 6th November.
However, following the full disclosure of evidence that the Police had collated over recent months, the owner decided not to contest the closure order and Wicked Head has since ceased trading.
Following the hearing, Local Neighbourhood Team Leader Acting/Inspector Rob Bolt commented,
“Today’s closure of the Wicked Head premises highlights the determination of Devon & Cornwall police to take positive action when necessary and use new legislation to good effect in driving down anti-social behaviour.
“Exeter is a vibrant City and we will use all available legislation and resources to tackle anti-social behaviour and keep Exeter a safe and attractive place to visit.
“The presence of this shop has had a very detrimental effect on both traders and members of the public. Additionally its effect on clients attending the shop cannot be under-estimated, many of whom are vulnerable members of our local community, who have been exploited.”
Cllr Rob Hannaford, Lead Councillor for Housing and Customer Access, said:
“The City Council is firmly behind this closure order. The police has gathered sufficient evidence that clearly demonstrates the high level of anti-social behaviour that has occurred in and around the South Street/Cathedral Green area as a direct result of legal high sales from this shop over the last 12 months.
“This anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated. It is having a detrimental effect on local residents, shopkeepers and visitors to Exeter and for many, this area has become one to avoid. As a housing provider, the City Council has a duty to protect the vulnerable and the homeless but while this shop continues to trade, we find it very hard to do so.”
Error: Your Requested widget "Facebook like box (jetpack) " is not in the widget list.
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-above-footer]
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-above-loop]
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-below-header]
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-below-loop]
- [do_widget_area sanfrancisco-default-sidebar]
- [do_widget id="media_image-29"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-30"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-18"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-28"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-23"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-25"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-20"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-24"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-31"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-2"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-4"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-5"]
- [do_widget_area swift-footer-widget-area]
- [do_widget_area widgets_for_shortcodes]
- [do_widget id="eme_calendar-2"]
- [do_widget id="eme_list-2"]
- [do_widget_area wp_inactive_widgets]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-3"]
- [do_widget id="search-2"]
- [do_widget id="search-4"]
- [do_widget id="archives-11"]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-3"]
- [do_widget id="archives-4"]
- [do_widget id="archives-6"]
- [do_widget id="text-2"]
- [do_widget id="text-39"]
- [do_widget id="categories-3"]
- [do_widget id="recent-posts-2"]
- [do_widget id="archives-2"]
- [do_widget id="recent-comments-2"]
- [do_widget id="categories-2"]
- [do_widget id="meta-2"]