Fire crews from Torquay, Newton Abbot, Paignton and Teignmouth spent last night fighting a fire at a restaurant in Torquay.
Initially 2 appliances from Torquay were mobilised to the fire at Kim Saigon, Torwood Street, Torquay.
The fire in the restaurant kitchen had spread to the extraction unit.
Crews attempted to dismantle the ducting to attack the fire.
Asbestos minor was declared due to a break in cement boarding. Decontamination was put in place for 2 firefighters due to the asbestos.
The domestic properties above the restaurant were not involved in the fire.
One resident told us how she was evacuated from her home along with her cat, they took refuge at nearby restaurant before being allowed to return to their flat above the restaurant. She added that her flat was slightly smoky but the flat beneath was full of smoke and next door had been affected as the smoke had travelled up the lift shaft.
The properties are currently without water due to the fire burning through a water pipe. Local residents have been told that it should be on by this afternoon.
There were no reported casualties.
See last nights article – includes video https://wearesouthdevon.com/torwood-street-torquay-closed-due-to-fire-2/
Fire crews remained at the incident until the early hours of this morning damping down. They revisited the restaurant later in the morning.
Keep up to date with what’s happening around South Devon and join us on Facebook
[do_widget “Facebook like box (jetpack)”]