Emergency services were called to a flat in Paignton last night following reports of smoke and an alarm sounding.
2 fire engines from Paignton were mobilised to the sheltered accommodation on Dartmouth Road, following a call at 10.30pm from an alarm receiving centre who received a call from a concerned neighbour. They had reported an alarm sounding and smoke issuing from an adjacent flat. The neighbour said they could see the male occupant in his chair but were unable to make contact with him.
Upon arrival crews confirmed smoke was issuing and Police were already in attendance, attempting to gain entry to the second floor flat.
Once inside Police and Fire crews removed the elderly gentleman (suffering from smoke inhalation) into the care of Paramedics, before fire crews extinguished the small fire, involving a chip pan, using 2 breathing apparatus and 1 hose reel jet.
The casualty was then conveyed to hospital via ambulance.
Damage was confined to the chip pan only and the smoke cleared via natural ventilation.
For the latest news and updates from around the area, join us on Facebook.
Want to join the team? Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
[do_widget “Facebook like box (jetpack)”]