[fblike style=”button_count” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”]
A game that virtually put Torquay’s season into context.
A lack of fight, heart and finishing ability has been United’s burden this year and once again- it showed to be costly. A humiliating 3-0 home loss to now safe Wycombe Wanders turned out to be our final salute to the football league in what could be our last game in the competition for many years to come.
There was a flat, depressed mood around plainmoor, as the realisation that this could be our last league two game in a long time hit us all. Shortly after Pearce collected his player of the season award the players exited the tunnels for the last time with a football league status to their name.
The 125 shirt to show The Gulls influence on the football league had obviously been a distraction to them, as Wycombe clambered into the lead the second time of asking after a scuffed first shot was turned into an accurate second, that being one Martin Rice will not want to see again, this all just after 5 minutes.
The 929 away fans roared in celebration twice in a row, as they also heard Oxford lead at Northampton, which meant they were another step closer to survival.
United failed to really pick up their game, with the only positive player, Courtney Cameron wanting to make an influence, he made some sizzling runs but as this season has shown- no end product.
Pearce’s pace soon turned into a bad thing as the Player of the season was outsmarted by the Wycombe winger, to leave Anthony O’Connor two on one, his only option was to commit, but the mistimed challenge was in the box, Wycombe penalty.
It was Cooley slotted away for a 2-0 lead, respectively.
United fans were stunned into silence as Hargreaves had promised a fight but hadn’t shown one.
Another roar from the away end as Mansfield went 1 up at the memorial, which meant as it stood, Wycombe were safe.
The second half began for United with two substitutions, as Chappell and Benyon made way for Craig and Stockley.
Still no fight.
A long kick from Ingram lead to a cool finish as United’s misery was confirmed.
The worse was still yet to come, as the youth and inexperience of Anthony O’Connor was evident, he made a clumsy challenge yet again and was given another yellow following the penalty incident.
The ref blew his whistle not only on the game, but on Torquay United’s league status as all the United fans could muster was a small round of applause for the players who cared.
to a lot of people, some of you must think the league United play in doesn’t make a difference.
I urge everyone who reads this to return to plainmoor next year to help us get out of this god forsaken league.
We are Torquay United
By Will Taylor
Error: Your Requested widget "Facebook like box (jetpack) " is not in the widget list.
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-above-footer]
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-above-loop]
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-below-header]
- [do_widget_area ampforwp-below-loop]
- [do_widget_area sanfrancisco-default-sidebar]
- [do_widget id="media_image-29"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-18"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-28"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-30"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-23"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-25"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-20"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-24"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-5"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-2"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-4"]
- [do_widget_area swift-footer-widget-area]
- [do_widget_area widgets_for_shortcodes]
- [do_widget_area wp_inactive_widgets]
- [do_widget id="tribe-events-list-widget-3"]
- [do_widget id="tribe-events-list-widget-4"]
- [do_widget id="weptile-image-slider-widget-3"]
- [do_widget id="search-2"]
- [do_widget id="search-4"]
- [do_widget id="archives-11"]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-3"]
- [do_widget id="archives-4"]
- [do_widget id="archives-6"]
- [do_widget id="text-2"]
- [do_widget id="text-39"]
- [do_widget id="categories-3"]
- [do_widget id="recent-posts-2"]
- [do_widget id="archives-2"]
- [do_widget id="recent-comments-2"]
- [do_widget id="categories-2"]
- [do_widget id="meta-2"]