Dog owners are being warned to be vigilant when walking their dogs on beaches in Torbay after a white substance thought to be palm oil was found.
Dog walkers have said they have found what is believed to be palm oil on Paignton and Goodrington beaches.
Palm oil is grown all over the world and is used in food, soaps, shampoos and biofuels. It is not dangerous to humans but can be to dogs.
Recent reports suggest the oil becomes glue-like when dogs eat it and it gets lodged throughout their body and leads to difficulty breathing.
The high toxin count also has damaging effects on the dog’s health and leads to vomiting and diarrhoea.
Palm oil cultivation has been criticized for impacts on the natural environment, including deforestation, loss of natural habitats, which has threatened critically endangered species such as the Orangutan and Sumatran tiger.
Keep up to date with what’s happening around South Devon and join us on Facebook:
[do_widget “Facebook like box (jetpack)”]