Fire crews from Plymouth were called to three separate incidents last night (30 July) involving disposable barbecues being placed in plastic bins when they were still hot.
Two were in Freedom Park and one was at Mountbatten adjacent to the ‘Beach.’ Another bin fire at Devils Point near the ‘Sea Pool’ may also have been started by a disposable barbecue but the damage was too severe to find the cause.
When disposable barbecues are placed in a bin while still hot, over a period of time, the embers can burn through the plastic and possibly spread to nearby buildings.
Fire service spokesman Paul Slaven said: “People should always ensure that disposable barbecues are cooled before they are discarded.
“Also, if barbecues have been used on the beach, ensure the sand directly under the barbecue is cooled after the barbecue has been removed.
“Never leave a barbecue unattended or take one inside a home or tent, as carbon monoxide can kill.”
For more information on fire safety, please visit the fire service website: http://www.dsfire.gov.uk/YourSafety/SafetyOutdoors/Index.cfm?siteCategoryId=4&T1ID=91
Keep up to date about what’s happening around South Devon,
join us on facebook.
[do_widget “Facebook like box (jetpack)”]