Warning after child injured in beach BBQ incident

(Last Updated On: July 18, 2016)

Police have issued a warning about using disposable BBQ’s after a young child burnt their foot on sand where a BBQ had been used at the beach.

The child was treated by RNLI lifeguards and then ambulance crews after stepping on hot sand which had been uncovered when the families disposable BBQ was removed.

Posing on Social media, Kingsbridge Police said:
“With this fabulous weather people are flocking to our beautiful beaches with their boards, beach towels and BBQ’s. RNLI lifeguards and volunteers at Bantham yesterday dealt with two really nasty burns, one of them to the feet of a young child who had stepped on the piping hot sand that had been uncovered when the families disposal BBQ was removed.

“Please, please be aware of this and make your friend and families aware. The immediate first aid is to cool the burn with copious amounts of cold water. Immersion in the sea was the obvious and correct immediate action in this case, RNLI lifegaurds continued this treatment which was followed up by advanced care from South West Ambulance Trust,”

For more local news go to our home page or you can join us over on Facebook or Twitter.


Team account for We Are South Devon.