An introduction to Butterfly Dawlish Community Art and Craft Centre C.I.C…..
Selling local crafts handmade by the people of Dawlish. The motivation to create things is varied:-
- To gain experience before setting-up a small business
- To raise money for charity and good causes
- As therapy after a serious illness or accident
- To share their hobby with you
Also on sale are art and craft materials:-
- Wool and Knitting supplies
- Art supplies such as paint, brushes, art pencils, etc.
- Things for card making such as blank cards, card toppers, back ground papers and stamps
- Books to inspire and instruct
Regular one off workshops to teach crafts, whether it be painting, mosaic making, knitting, crocheting or even learning to mend socks, there is a course for you.
Weekly groups for social interaction via crafts such as In Stitches where anyone making something including a needle and thread or wool can join in. Groups using craft and art as therapy such as Craft for Carers and home educated children.
The Business Model
A not for profit organisation supporting local good causes and groups of people through a retail business. Run as a C.I.C (Community Interest Company) with the idea of benefiting the local community, using any money it makes to help others. The idea is that it is run by Dawlish, for Dawlish. With volunteers and crafters helping to run things.
- Helped three local residents set up a sewing business
- Raised £100 for the Royal British Legion by selling poppy items made by the crafters
- Delivered craft therapy for local care homes thanks to a grant of £500
- Set up a chronic pain support group
- Runs regular workshops
- Runs activates for children and adults at weekends and during school holidays
- Runs a weekly craft class for home educated children
You can follow Butterfly Dawlish Community Art and Craft Centre C.I.C on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/butterflydawlish
Or visit their website: http://butterflydawlishcic.org.uk/