What matters to you in your local area? Is it the state of the local park, the need for more activities for young people, improving services for older people, making the roads safer or ensuring that local businesses can thrive?
Whatever needs changing in your neighbourhood, you could be just the person to change it by becoming a local councillor.
Torbay Council is launching a campaign to attract residents to come forward and represent their local communities and be part of a dedicated team providing key services for the Bay.
A drop- in session for anyone who is interested in becoming a councillor is being held on Thursday 10 May 2018 from 4 pm to 6 pm at Torquay Town Hall. If you are unable to make this session you can call Governance Support on 01803 207087 for more information.
The next elections for Torbay councillors and Brixham Town councillors will be held on Thursday 2 May 2019.
Councils and their councillors have the responsibility for the running of most local services in their areas such as education, social services, housing and regeneration, waste collection and recycling along with roads and street lighting. Councils also play a pivotal role in ensuring the health, safety and well-being of residents by working closely with key partners such as the police and health services.
Torbay is split into wards and one, two or three councillors are elected to represent each ward.
Residents can become a councillor if they;
· Are 18 years of age or over;
· Are British, or if they are a citizen of a member country of the European Union or Commonwealth
You will also have at least one of the following;
· Are registered to vote with Torbay Council, and within Brixham to stand for Brixham Town Council; or
· Have lived or worked in Torbay for one year, or within Brixham to stand for Brixham Town Council; or
· Have occupied or resided in, as an owner or tenant, any premises in Torbay for one year, or within 4.8 km of Brixham for Brixham Town Council.
For further information about being a councillor and the support that is available contact: Governance Support, Torbay Council, Town Hall, Castle Circus, Torquay, TQ1 3DR. Tel: 01803 207087 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us