Barratt Developments, which includes Barratt Homes and David Wilson Homes with sites across Devon, ploughed £17.1m into community contributions and built more than 2,000 properties in its West region during the last financial year which contributed more than £401m to the UK’s economic output.
The achievements are highlighted in a new report which measures the housebuilders’ social and economic footprint during 2023, and includes:
• Creation of more than 110ha of green space – the equivalent of 158 football pitches
• 636 new school places
• 620 affordable homes
• £325,000 to charity including company donations, employee fundraising and supplier sponsorship, made directly or via the Barratt Foundation
• 1,113 employee volunteering hours
• 258 swift nesting boxes for developments as part of the housebuilders’ biodiversity commitment
• £17.1m worth of local contributions including s106 and equivalent contributions such as the Community Infrastructure Levy
• 68 new graduates, apprentices and trainees, contributing an estimated £700,000 to the wider economy
• £92m on physical works such as highway and environmental improvements, affordable homes and facilities to benefit local communities
• Created 5579 direct, indirect and induced jobs, an equivalent of 2.7 jobs per dwelling
• 99% of homes have an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) ‘A’ or ‘B’ rating which measures the energy efficiency of homes on a scale of A to G
• Supported 818 sub–contractor or supplier companies to create local employment opportunities and resulting in a total spend of £405m
Nicki Reid, Sales Director for Barratt David Wilson Homes Exeter, said: “In 2013, Barratt Developments pioneered the first economic footprint report among housebuilders. A decade later, our commitment remains unwavering as we continue to make significant contributions to society, the UK economy and the local communities where our developments thrive.
“Ensuring transparency regarding our social and economic impact is one of our top priorities. We’ve consistently viewed ourselves as more than just a housebuilder and we hope that these statistics underscore our broader contributions.
“These results speak volumes and evidence that we’re creating lasting legacies and our tangible benefits resonate far beyond bricks and mortar.”
Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Get in touch via email email@example.com