Disposable barbecue blamed for huge South Devon blaze

Facebook: Kingsbridge Fire Station
Facebook: Kingsbridge Fire Station
(Last Updated On: May 25, 2020)

A disposable barbecue is believed to started a large gorse fire near Kingswear over the weekend.

The fire service received numerous reports of smoke on the cliffside on Saturday afternoon.

Fire crews are still on scene this morning after a weekend of battling the blaze.

Six fire appliances, a helicopter and hundreds of firefighters have attended the incident over the past few days.

A video on Facebook showed a firefighter tacking the blaze:

A spokeperson for Totnes Fire Station posted on Facebook: “Yesterday we were requested to attend a fire in the open in kingswear. In total there were crews from Dartmouth, Brixham, Totnes, Paignton, Newton Abbot, Kingston, a water bowser from Exeter and the incident support unit from Bovey… And one helicopter.

“Due to the winds and the coastal area of the fire access was very difficult and fire spread was hard to control. Crews worked extremely hard under a very hot sun to put the fire out. There was a helicopter to aid in reaching the seats of fire that were too difficult for firefighters to reach safely.

“Please remember, if you do have a barbecue then please dispose of it properly! The cost of one not put out or cooled properly can be extremely high.”

You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon.

Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us

(Author)

Team account for We Are South Devon.