You may have seen headlines on a local news website today claiming that all Tor2 drivers have quit over night but Tor2 have this afternoon stated that this claim is false.
Devon Live stated today on their website: “Bin problems have spread in Torbay after all of the drivers for contractors TOR2 quit in one night,”
Speaking to Tor2 today, asking if the claims were true. They told us “We can confirm this is false”
There have been ongoing issues across Torbay as Tor2 have struggled with the collections. An update on Torbay Councils Facebook on Tuesday stated:
“TOR2 have now deployed two new vehicles to assist with the collection of recycling. These vehicles will collect plastic and cans in one part and glass in the other. There will also be smaller vehicles that do not require HGV 2 drivers which will collect cardboard, paper and food separately. This way of collecting the recycling will release four drivers each day and they will be deployed to catch up with outstanding rounds. Working this way will enable TOR2 to be back to its normal collection days by early next week.
“All recycling material that is put out for collection will be recycled even if you see it being collected in a different way,”
Earlier this month, Torbay Council and Tor2 released a joing statement regarding the collection issues:
Torbay Council is working closely with TOR2 to ensure that TOR2 put the necessary steps in place to resolve the issue of inconsistent waste collections across the Bay and return the service to a normal pattern of collections.
Peter Woodhead, TOR2’s General Manager, said: “Due to ongoing issues with collection vehicles, residents will notice that not all recycling is being sorted at the kerbside, but I would like to reassure everyone that it is being recycled. It is being taken away as mixed recycling in smaller vehicles and being sorted out at another location.
“We are committed to resolving the current issue and, in the meantime, I would encourage all residents to continue to put their recycling bins and residual waste bins out as normal.”
Torbay Council’s Executive Lead for Planning, Transport and Housing, Councillor Mark King, said: “We very much regret the ongoing difficulties experienced by residents with their waste and recycling collections. I am encouraged by TOR2’s updated recovery plan to bring services back into line with what the public expect.
“We are doing everything that we can to overcome the numerous challenges and ask the public to bear with us and continue to recycle as normal until the usual service returns. We will provide regular updates via our own website and TOR2 to ensure that everyone is aware of progress.”
Have the lack of collections affected you? Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/wearesouthdevon
Return to our home page for more local news here.
You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon. Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share? Contact us