Emergency services were called to two fires at properties in Ellacombe in the early hours of this morning, 20th March.
Both fires involved sofas left outside the houses.
One fire engine from Torquay and one from Paignton attended the first fire at a terraced property on Hoxton Road at around 1.20am.
Police and ambulance crews also attended. One woman suffered from smoke inhalation and was treated by paramedics.
A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset fire service said:
“The incident involved a sofa on fire outside which had affected the property. One female and two children were treated for shock by ambulance crews.
“Crews used one hosereel jet and small tools to extinguish the fire. A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to ventilate the property,”
Two appliances attended another fire around an hour later in Princes Road East, also in Ellacombe.
A spokesperson for the Devon and Somerset fire service stated:
“The fire involved a sofa outside which had spread into the property. Crews used 2 breathing apparatus and 1 hose reel jet to extinguish the fire. A positive pressure ventilation fan was also used.
“The property was vacant. The cause of the fire was believed to be deliberate”
Police are now investigating the fires. Information can be passed on by calling 101. log 114 refers.
For more community news and info, join us on Facebook: We Are South Devon or Twitter: @wearesouthdevon