Fire crews called to child with finger trapped in metal grate

(Last Updated On: December 18, 2017)

The fire service was called to Buckfastleigh this afternoon to a child with their finger stuck in a metal grate. 

One fire engine from Buckfastleigh was mobilised to the incident on Church Hill just after 2pm.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said on their website: “On arrival crews decided that a ring cutter would be the best piece of equipment to ensure the child was released as quickly as possible without any further injury and so his equipment was mobilised on a further appliance from our Newton Abbot fire station.

“Crews were then able to release the child using small tools and the ring cutter into the care of his parents.

“An ambulance was called to this incident to assist but subsequently stood down as the parents were able to deal,”

Return to our home page for more local news here.

You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon.

Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us


Team account for We Are South Devon.