Fire crews called to Newton Abbot garage fire

fire

The fire service were called to reports of a garage fire in Milber, Newton Abbot in the early hours of this morning.

Two appliances from Newton Abbot were mobilised to the incident at a property on Twickenham Road.

A fire, involving a wheelie bin had spread to a garage.

A spokesperson for the fire service said:
“Crews have extinguished the fire at the single storey garage. The exterior of the garage was slightly damaged. Crews used 2 breathing apparatus, a short extension ladder and a thermal imaging camera.”

Newton Abbot fire service posted images of the fire on social media and advised people to store their bins away from buildings, garages or sheds.

At 00:57 this morning (04 Oct 2015) both of Newton Abbot Fire Stations appliances were mobilised to reports of a garage on fire in the Twickenham Road area. Control received numerous calls from neighbours.
Crews wearing BA extinguished the fire which appears to have started in a wheelie bin and spread to the garage.
Once the fire is fully out we then double check all areas incase it has spread further. Our thermal imaging camera assists in this showing any hotspots.
On this occasion it has proved very difficult to ascertain an ignition source, but we do regularly attend bin fires. If at all possible wheelie bins should be located away from any buildings, garages or sheds. Always be careful with the disposal of any items that have been hot. Never place disposable BBQ’s in to bins.

[fb_embed_post href=”https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1640573042886589&id=1566360023641225/” width=”450″/]

 

(Author)

Team account for We Are South Devon.