Fire crews called to Torquay flat fire

(Last Updated On: November 25, 2017)

The fire service attended a fire at a flat in Ellacombe, Torquay this morning, Saturday, 25th November.
Two fire engines were mobilised just after 8.30am after a call from the occupant of the property on Wellesley Road saying they had a fire in their kitchen.

The fire service said on their website:

“Within mins of arriving we confirmed the kitchen was on fire, all occupants were accounted for and set to work with 2BA, 1 hose reel jet, a safety jet and a thermal imaging camera, extinguishing it at 08:49hrs.

“At 09:16hrs the incident was brought under control, after crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the property of smoke. The fire, which started accidentally, involved a grill pan in the kitchen of a privately rented basement flat. Once the fire was extinguished, crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the property of the smoke. The kitchen sustained 20% heat damage, with the remainder of the flat suffering 50% damage by heat and smoke. There were no casualties and once the area was made safe, duty of care was left with the occupant,”

Return to our home page for more local news here.

You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon.

Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us


Team account for We Are South Devon.