The fire service were called to a blaze at a local clay works site this morning, Monday 21st December.
One fire engeine was initially mobilised to the clay works near Newton Abbot following reports of an industrial machine on fire.
.big fire at the clay pits near newton abbot. Hope that's not toxic@BBCSpotlight pic.twitter.com/1xsTX08swQ
— 🅲🆁🆄🅴🅻 (@Cruel_Coppinger) January 21, 2019
Devon and Somerset fire and rescue service said on their website: “On arrival crews confirmed that the unit was well alight and requested the attendance of a further fire appliance, which was also mobilised from Newton Abbot.
“Crews set to work using one main jet, backing up their water supply from a nearby hydrant.
“12:20 Crews are still making efforts to extinguish the fire with two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using one hose reel jet and one main jet.
“12:32 Crews confirm that the fire has now been extinguished.
“The fire was involving one large sand plant machine which was 80% destroyed by the fire. The cause of the fire was accidental.
“Crews have now left the scene in the care of on site personnel”
You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon. Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us