The Fostering team will be attending this year’s Torbay Pride which is on Saturday 2 September at Torre Abbey Meadows from 12pm to 8pm.
The Fostering team will also be joined by Participation Officers from Torbay Council’s Learning and Development team.
Torbay Council wants to remind people that if you want to foster or adopt you can be from any background, gender or sexual orientation. You can also foster if you are single as long as you have stable accommodation.
Councillor Nick Bye, Cabinet Member for Children’s Services, said: “Providing a safe and loving foster home is one of the best gifts you can give to a cared for child, but many of our foster carers have also described fostering as a privilege.
“We are pleased to be able to promote Fostering at this year’s Torbay Pride event. It’s important to remind everyone that the most important thing if you want to become a Foster carer is you want to support, love and provide some of our most vulnerable children with a safe home environment.
““So if you’re thinking about Fostering or just want to find out more, why not talk to a member of our Fostering team at Pride or one of the other local events we’re attending, or alternatively you can contact them on 01803 207845 or visit our website at www.torbay.gov.uk/fostering”
Who can Foster?
• Single, married, straight, gay or lesbian
• Some experience of looking after children
• You have a strong partnership or family and friends
• Any cultural background
• Over 18 but there is no upper age limit
• Stable accommodation
• Good health. If you have a disability you can still foster if it does not prevent the caring tasks from being carried out
• Have a good understanding of the English language and are able to read and write
• Be able to use email and the internet, or be prepared to undertake basic IT training
• Be willing to attend ongoing fostering training
•Agree to a full criminal records check
You can find out more about upcoming events in Torbay that the Fostering team are attending here: https://www.torbay.gov.uk/fostering-events
Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us