Free funded childcare for 2-year-olds

(Last Updated On: April 1, 2021)

Early learning is good for children. It’s fun, safe and can help with children’s talking and listening skills.

If your child turned 2 before 31 March, they could be eligible for a funded place at the start of the summer term (after Easter) and children who turn 2 between 1 April and 31 August could be eligible for a funded place from September.

Families in receipt of one of a number of benefits could be entitled to receive up to 15 hours per week of funded childcare, for 38 weeks of the year or an equivalent number of hours spread across the whole year.

There are a large number of Ofsted registered providers across Torbay including day nurseries, school nurseries, pre-schools and childminders that accept funding through this scheme.

Rachael Williams, Assistant Director Education, Learning and Skills, Torbay Council, said; “Early year’s education has many benefits and can support children with the early stages of their development. Not only does it have many social benefits it can help your child to gain vital early skills that will help to increase confidence and educational achievement into the future. All of our local providers are registered with us and are regularly inspected by Ofsted to ensure they meet the required standards of childcare”.

To receive the free funded childcare, the child must be in a family who receive one of the following benefits:

-Income Support
-Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
-Child tax credit (without working tax credit) and an annual income below £16,190
-Guaranteed element of pension credit
-Income related Employment and Support Allowance
-Working Tax Credit and have annual gross earnings of £16,190 or less
The child has a current statement of Special Educations Needs or an education, health and care plan
-The child receives Disability Living Allowance
-The child is looked after by the Local Authority or has left care through special guardianship or -through an adoption or residence order
-Universal Credit with a net household income of less that £15,400 per year (your net earned income is your household income after taxes and deduction. It does not include income through Universal Credit or other benefits that you may receive).

More information on eligibility and how to apply can be found on Torbay Council’s website.

You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon.

Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us