Police patrols in the Preston area of Paignton have been increased following a number of burglaries in the area recently.
Money and jewellery have been targeted by thieves, Police have warned people to be vigilant and make sure homes are secure.
A spokesperson for Paignton Police said on Facebook: “The Preston area of Paignton has suffered some dwelling and non-dwelling burglaries over the last 3-4 weeks. For the dwelling burglaries, money and jewellery have been targeted. These offences are occurring during daylight hours. The non-dwelling burglaries are occurring overnight.
“Torbay Police will be increasing patrols in the area but we ask everyone to be vigilant and make sure your home is as secure as possible”
The following advice has been given:
• close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you’re only going out for a few minutes
• double-lock any door
• make sure that any valuables are out of sight
• keep handbags away from the letterbox or cat flap and hide all keys including car keys, as a thief could hook keys or valuables through even a small opening
• never leave car documents or ID in obvious places such as kitchens or hallways
• in the evening, shut the curtains and leave lights on
• if you’re out all day, then it’s advisable to use a timer device to automatically turn lights and a radio on at night
• set your burglar alarm
• make sure the side gate is locked
• lock your shed or garage
• lock your bike inside a secure shed or garage, to a robust fitting bolted to the ground or wall, like a ground anchor
You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon.
Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us