Torbay Council offering free short term pavement café licences to businesses

(Last Updated On: June 19, 2020)

Many Torbay hospitality businesses have been closed for months, but are busy preparing to safely open from the anticipated date of the 4 July, including outside areas

To support hospitality businesses with their recovery plans, Torbay Council are offering free short term consents / temporary licensed lease agreements, to allow them to provide outdoor seating for customers in line with the latest government social distancing guidelines.

The agreements will cover any Council or Harbour Land and will be valid until 31 October 2020 to allow businesses to capitalise on the shoulder season that may be experienced by the tourism sector.

Each application will be treated on its merits, and in most cases, consents/licences will be issued within 14 days.

Cllr Mike Morey, Cabinet Member Infrastructure, Environment and Culture, Torbay Council, said “We recognise that the next few months are going to be crucial for the hospitality industry, that is why we are committed to doing all we can to help businesses with their recovery plans. All efforts will be made to make decisions on applications as quickly as possible, some of the more complex locations may require additional consideration and in such cases, we will aim to complete these applications with 28-days”.

Businesses that are already in receipt of an existing licence and have already paid, a pro-rata credit will be applied to their next bill. Those that have not yet paid, will have their bills adjusted accordingly”.

To make an application, business owners are required to complete an online application form, be sure to supply as much information as possible.

Businesses who have existing pavement café licences that wish to consider expanding their area to accommodate customers, whilst following social distancing guidelines will be able to follow the same process.

No business can operate any trading or provide table or chairs on Council land without a consent or lease agreement/licence in place, so an application must be made.

You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon.

Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us