Warning for dog walkers after palm oil found on Torquay beach

(Last Updated On: November 27, 2018)

Dog walkers have been warned to be vigilant after palm oil was found on a Torquay beach.

Palm oil is grown all over the world and is used in food, soaps, shampoos and biofuels. It is not dangerous to humans but can be to dogs.

Recent reports suggest the oil becomes glue-like when dogs eat it and it gets lodged throughout their body and leads to difficulty breathing.

The high toxin count also has damaging effects on the dog’s health and leads to vomiting and diarrhoea.

Palm oil cultivation has been criticized for impacts on the natural environment, including deforestation, loss of natural habitats, which has threatened critically endangered species such as the Orangutan and Sumatran tiger.

Torbay Harbour Authority and Beaches said on their Facebook page last night: “This evening we have had reports of Palm Oil at Babbacombe beach, the beach team have investigated and confirm that there maybe traces at this location.

“Please be vigilant when using beaches and coastline following stormy weather.”

You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon.

Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us


Team account for We Are South Devon.