A free day of fun and learning with a sustainability focus is on at Paignton Library on Saturday 3rd February.
The ‘Future-proof eco takeover’ offers a busy day of activities for adults and children including:
- The Big Exchange – bring clothes and bric-a-brac small household items to swap and take some home
- Repair Café for clothes or jewellery
- Toy making and junk modelling crafting sessions
- Seed exchange where seeds can be brought in and deposited or taken for free, alongside a seed bomb-making workshop
- Making paper birds and hedgehogs from recycling books, and contributing towards a community artwork
- Bike repair workshop
- Talks on Paignton’s hidden nature nooks and the seagrass beds off the coast
- Learning to grow vegetables and herbs on windowsills or in a small garden
- Film screening and the Operation Earth virtual reality show, “We Are Guardians”, for children
- Lucky dip, games, quizzes and more!
The event is FREE and drop-ins are welcome, although tickets can also be reserved on Eventbrite here.
Lisa Headon-Cooke, Programme Coordinator at Paignton Library, said: “Around three quarters of adults (74%) in the UK say they are worried about climate change*. And around eight in ten (86.5%) say they have made some changes to their lifestyles to try and contribute towards tackling it**. We want to get the community in Paignton and the surrounding area together to not only feel they can talk about their concerns with others who share them, but learn new skills and think about ideas that can help. The feeling of helplessness drives anxiety and knowing there are practical things you can do can really help.”
“Our eco-takeover day in the library is all about making a better future – together. The majority of people say they’ve made some small changes, and we want to offer inspiration and ideas for more things they can do. The emphasis will be on fun and community, welcoming people on their own or whole families, and we hope it will be a really good day.”
The event is part of Libraries Unlimited’s ‘A Better Tomorrow’ season, which itself is part of an ongoing programme of high quality community events running in libraries from 2023 to 2026 being rolled out with funding from Arts Council England.
View all the cultural events coming up in libraries at librariesevolve.org.uk/events.
Libraries in Devon and Torbay are run by Libraries Unlimited, an independent staff and community owned charity. Join up for free by filling in the online form at devonlibraries.org.uk or torbaylibraries.org.uk.
For further information and full contact details please visit their web page librariesunlimited.org.uk.
Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org