Torquay flat badly damaged by chip pan fire

received_295510644718516-16798914996427991880.jpeg

Emergency services were called to reports of a kitchen fire in Snowberry Close in Torquay just before 7.30pm last night, Monday 23rd September.

Three fire engines from Torquay and Paignton were mobilised to the incident.

The flat was badly damaged by fire and smoke, which was caused by a chip pan.

Five people, including three children were evacuated from the flat above.

Devon and Somerset Fire and rescue service said on their website:

“The two storey building was divided into flats, with the fire located in a ground floor kitchen. Approximately 30 per cent of the flat was damaged by fire and 70 per cent of it was damaged by smoke.

“Two adults and three children were evacuated uninjured by Fire Service personnel from the flat above. The female occupant of the flat involved in fire was assessed by Paramedics as she was suffering with smoke inhalation.

“Crews used one hose reel jet, one safety jet, a positive pressure ventilation fan and two breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire. They also used a thermal imaging camera.

“The cause of the fire was an unattended chip pan,”

You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon.

Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share or want to advertise with us? Contact us

(Author)

Team account for We Are South Devon.