Update: Penn Inn now open
A major gas leak is causing chaos in Newton Abbot this evening.
The leak, in Mcdonalds car park is said to have been caused by an engineer going through a pipe.
Mcdonalds and Sainsburys have been evacuated. Some nearby houses have also been evacuated. Other residents say they have been told to remain inside.
Diversions are in place. The Penn inn roundabout and roads in the area are closed.
A spokesperson for the fire service said:
“The leak is from the mains supply, and is near to high voltage electricity cables. The incident is likely to go on into the night, and there may be disruption to electricity supply to homes in the area.
“Police, ambulance, gas engineers and western power are in attendance at the scene, along with fire crews and fire officers.”
Updates to follow as information becomes available.