Fire service warning following wheat bag fire

Wheat bag
Newton Abbot Fire Station
(Last Updated On: January 31, 2017)

Newton Abbot Fire Station have warned people to be careful when using wheat bags following a fire in the town on Sunday, 29th

Two fire engines from Newton Abbot Fire Station attended a fire at block of residential flats in Hameldown Way.

A spokesperson for the fire station said:
“When we entered the flat we found an acrid smokey atmosphere which upon investigation turned out to be an overheated Wheat Bag in the microwave oven.

“Luckily the elderly resident had left the flat awaiting our arrival.

“This is the second incident involving Wheat Bags that we have attended in the last few months. Please be aware of the correct use of these bags, as incorrect use can cause them to over heat, eventually catching fire.

“Wheat bags are heating pads that usually contain buckwheat or wheatgrass, which can be warmed in a microwave,”

They also posted the following advice on their Facebook page:

Do:
• only use as a heat pack for direct application to the body
• ensure your microwave turntable is working properly
• watch for signs of overuse such as burning or charring
• leave bags to cool in a safe area and on a non-combustible surface.

Don’t:
• use a wheat bag as a bed warmer
• overheat the bag
• reheat the bag until it has completely cooled – this can take up to two hours
• leave the microwave unattended when heating
• store the bag until it has completely cooled
• use the bag if you see evidence of damage

You can join us on our social media pages, follow us on Facebook or Twitter and keep up to date with whats going on in South Devon. Got a news story, blog or press release that you’d like to share? Contact us

(Author)

Team account for We Are South Devon.